Nancy Guthrie Case Raises Embarrassing Questions After Sheriff Makes Blunt ‘No Family Contact’ Remark

Credit: X
Credit: X

Content Advisory: This article discusses an alleged kidnapping, a missing elderly woman, surveillance footage, and an active investigation. Reader discretion is advised.

The sheriff overseeing the Nancy Guthrie kidnapping investigation says he is no longer personally in contact with her family.

Nancy, 84, the mother of ‘Today’ host Savannah Guthrie, was reported missing on Feb. 1 after authorities said she was believed to have been taken against her will from her Tucson, Arizona, home. More than 100 days later, no suspects have been publicly identified.

Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos said communication with Savannah and her family now goes through investigators, not him directly. “I personally am not,” Nanos said when asked if he is still in contact with the family.

Sheriff Says Detectives And FBI Handle Family Contact

Nanos said his detectives and the FBI remain connected to the Guthrie family when needed.

“If they need the family for anything, they get in touch with them and the family,” he said. “It works both ways.”

That marks a shift from February, shortly after Nancy disappeared. At the time, Nanos said he had been communicating with Savannah through occasional texts and phone calls.

“We text or, every now and then, a phone call,” he said then. “But no, I’ve not even sat down with her face-to-face. She’s got a lot on her plate.”

Nanos also said at the time that Savannah and her family were holding up “as best as one would expect,” adding, “It’s just difficult.”

Savannah Guthrie Has Pleaded For Answers

Federal investigators previously released surveillance video showing a masked man apparently tampering with Nancy’s doorbell camera overnight. The footage became one of the most unsettling public pieces of the case.

Savannah has spoken openly about her mother’s disappearance and has pleaded for whoever may know something to come forward. She took a leave of absence from ‘Today’ before returning in April.

In March, she said her family recognized the work investigators had done, but still needed answers. “Well, it’s still going and people have worked tirelessly, tirelessly,” Savannah said. “And we see that. But we need answers. We cannot be at peace without knowing and someone can do the right thing.” She added, “It is never too late to do the right thing.”

Family Offers $1 Million Reward

On Mother’s Day, Savannah shared an emotional tribute to Nancy online.

“Mother, daughter, sister, Nonie, we miss you with our every breath,” she wrote. “We will never stop looking for you. We will never be at peace until we find you.”

Savannah and her family have offered a $1 million reward for information leading to Nancy’s recovery or an arrest. The FBI has separately offered a $100,000 reward.

For now, the investigation remains active. The family is still waiting. And the sheriff’s latest comments make clear that while he may no longer be personally speaking with them, detectives and federal investigators are still the bridge between the case and the people desperate for answers.

If you have any information about Nancy’s disappearance, please contact the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI (1-800-225-5324) or the Pima County Sheriff’s Department at 520-351-4900.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts