
Content Advisory: This article discusses legal proceedings, reproductive claims, and online criticism of public behavior. Reader discretion is advised.
Elon Musk’s China trip has turned into another internet roast.
The Tesla boss was seen at a state banquet hosted by Chinese President Xi Jinping on Thursday, May 14, while accompanying Donald Trump and other high-profile business figures during the president’s China visit.
Musk was seated at the dinner when Apple CEO Tim Cook walked over for a photo. The brief moment quickly got attention online after Musk appeared to make faces, roll his eyes, grab a piece of food, and eat as the cameras captured the exchange. That was enough for critics to pounce.
Elon Musk Gets Roasted Over China Dinner Moment
The clip spread quickly, with viewers calling Musk’s behavior strange, rude, and awkward for such a formal setting.
“Elon keeps proving that having wealth doesn’t make you any less of a loser,” one critic wrote. Another called the moment “disrespectful, arrogant, unaware, and embarrassing.” A third user was even more blunt, writing, “Despicable and embarrassing.” Another simply said, “He’s so awkward.”
The reaction was not only about the facial expressions. Many people also questioned why Musk was even part of the China trip in the first place.

Why Was Elon Musk In China?
Musk was not the only billionaire executive traveling with Trump. Other major business figures also joined the trip, including Cook, Blackstone CEO Stephen Schwarzman, Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang, and other executives. Trump had previously posted on Truth Social that he wanted China to “open up” so American business leaders could work with the country more freely.
Trump said he planned to make that request directly to Xi. “In fact, I promise, that when we are together, which will be in a matter of hours, I will make that my very first request,” Trump wrote.
Musk’s presence drew extra attention because he is also involved in an ongoing lawsuit against OpenAI.
Musk Reportedly Left Without Judge’s Permission
Last month, after Musk testified in the OpenAI case, U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez reportedly told him, “You are not excused.”
The judge held him in “recall status,” meaning he was expected to remain available in case he needed to testify again. According to different sources, Musk did not get permission from the judge before leaving the country.
Musk, who co-founded OpenAI, has sued CEO Sam Altman and President Greg Brockman. He has accused them of profiting from what he says was originally meant to be a charitable company.
Shivon Zilis Testimony Adds Another Layer
The OpenAI case has also brought new attention to Shivon Zilis, who worked at the company in 2016 and served on its board of directors.
Zilis testified on May 6 about her relationship with Musk, saying that after she decided she wanted children as a single mother, Musk offered to act as a donor. “I still really wanted to be a mom, and Elon made the offer around that time, and I accepted,” Zilis said. She added, “He was encouraging everyone around him at that time to have kids, and he’d noticed I did not. He offered to make a donation.”
In 2025, Zilis announced that she and Musk had welcomed a fourth child. Musk is believed to have at least 14 known children with four women.
So the China dinner clip may have looked like a small awkward moment. Online, it became something bigger: another chance for critics to question Musk’s behavior, his access to power, and why he keeps turning official moments into viral spectacle.